Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Goosebumps

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living." ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

I found this quote during my inspiration search the other day (see last blog post), and not only do I really like it in terms of thinking about the little ways I can do my part to help these girls but it reminded me very much of last Saturday morning. Instead of having our normal practice, Techo organized a tournament for the girls. The Estrellas split up into two teams, an A squad and a B squad, and played in a small round robin against two other teams in the area- a boys squad, and a co-ed team. Helen and I were coaching the Estrella A team together, and Flaca and Techo took the B-team. They were up first against the co-ed "Águilas" (Eagles) coached by a guy named Tico who is a youth coach in the area. We sat on the sidelines and cheered them on, and got mentally focused for our game coming up next against the same boys team that we faced a few weeks ago (and lost 3-0). The Estrellas B lost 1-0 by a questionable goal, but came off the field with their heads held high. Our game started a few minutes after and thankfully I didn't have to be the referee this time around (or more likely, I was fired from that job). It was back and forth through most of the first half, both sides getting shots off on net but neither able to capitalize. The boys are still excellent floppers and cry babies in case you were wondering.

I've heard many times that you won't remember the wins, and losses, and specific games so much as you will remember your teammates and the memories that you make together off the field. While I agree, I can pinpoint several athletic moments on the field, court, or track that left me with goosebumps and a lasting vivid memory of that moment in time. Here are a few of my goosebump moments:

  • Beating Nobles 49-48 at the buzzer my junior year of Red Dogs basketball (for the first and only time ever)
  • Playing Cushing under the lights on Porter field, and Guidi's OT goal to let us advance to the semi finals of the New England championship
  • Losing to Thayer, but breaking the school 4x4 relay record with Abby, Trav, and Alanna
  • Kit Hamley's perfect loft over the head of the Midd keeper to make a 1-0 game sophomore year
  • Celeste's goal in the last minute of play to force OT against Bates senior year
  • Pop's header to go up 1-0 against Williams, and going on to tie them (it was a big deal)
  • Ellery's OT goal against Trinity senior year, and the ensuing rush of the field
  • Ellery's two goals in the infamous blizzard game against Amherst in the quarterfinal NESCAC game
There are plenty more (mostly following the Ellery and OT trend, shocker) and I thought those "glory days" per se were over. But I got the goosebumps again on Saturday, and it's pretty hard to get goosebumps in 90 degree Nicaragua heat so it was a pretty big deal. Towards the end of the second half, our star forward Johanna Nadieska Mendieta Ortega ripped a shot on net from the right side that deflected off a defender's shins and into the back left corner of the net. I was paralyzed for a moment, not entirely sure the ball had gone in because it was hard to see from my angle, but when Johanna turned around with her arms waving in the air and a smile that spread past her ears it was pretty easy to tell. The boys fought harder for the rest of the game, trying desperately to earn back a goal so they didn't have to live with the fact that they were losing to GIRLS. But they lost. It was a glorious day for the Estrellas.

I have to give the spotlight to Johanna for a hot minute. 

She is the smiliest, and most mature thirteen year old I have ever met. She always greets me with, "Hi Kelly, how are you?" (in English) eager to practice what she's learning, and a giant hug. She's confident but not cocky, a quiet leader that leads by example and the whole team notices. She has a big competitive edge and always pushes her teammates to be better. The rest of the group looks up to her not only as a player but as a friend. She has amazing soccer skills, passion and compassion, and maturity without losing her fun-loving side. She's beautiful inside and out, and I know she's going places in life. Hell, she gives me goosebumps even without scoring a game winning goal to beat the boys.


I love my job.

Amor, paz, y fútbol

KPope

No comments:

Post a Comment