Monday, October 22, 2012

For Malala

A week ago today, Mady and I had to travel to Managua to renew our 90 day tourist visas. In my opinion that is quite a milestone. I have crossed the threshold of wide brimmed hats, clip-on sunglasses, Hawaiian shirts, cameras hanging on neck straps, giant backpacks, hiking boots, and broken Spanish and into the Nica world. I have a "regular" order at my coffee shop and at my normal lunch spot, I usually know and say hello to at least one person on every block, and more often then not one of my teammates or one of the coaches or one of their friends will see me out in town somewhere and yell "Pope!" which strongly reminds me of strolling around the Bowdoin or GDA campus. And yes, my name has evolved as it always does no matter where I go to just my last name, Pope. Or Pops. Or Kelly María Pops. Or as Techo says, "Mister Pops." They're pretty convinced there's an S at the end. Cracks me up.

It is getting harder and harder to write this blog because many of the things that struck me as different and blog-worthy when I first got here now seem casual and run of the mill. When I was a 'tourist' I used to jump out of the way if a motorcycle whizzed by too close to my feet. I used to be slightly fearful and slightly in awe of all the animals (horses, goats, dogs, cats, and other critters) that roam the streets freely. The driving rules (or lack thereof), the abundance of karaoke, the use of plastic bags for food and drinks (not to carry them, literally to eat or drink out of...picture a plastic sandwich baggie full of juice tied in a knot around a straw) and the ability to ride a bicycle with five people on it all seemed wild to me in July. And just now it took me a solid half an hour to come up with that short list--I almost can't remember what kinds of things used to surprise me about this culture. The motorcycles, buses, and speeding taxis that nearly brush my arms when they drive by rarely make me flinch. The unattended animals seem second nature, one person on a bicycle at a time seems inefficient, the out of tune karaoke notes no longer pierce my ears, and I love drinking juice out of bags. 

Nonetheless, I continue to learn and continue to be surprised by things--mainly the Estrellas. On Thursday, they spent time during our activity to write letters to Malala Yousafzai, a fourteen year old girl from Pakistan who was shot in the head on her way home from school a few weeks ago by a Taliban gunman for her outspoken advocacy of women's right to education. I thought it was important to call attention to the discrimination that girls face around the world, and that while the International Day of the Girl should definitely be a celebration it is equally important to gain perspective of the many challenges and disadvantages that still plague girls. I'm not sure what I anticipated as a response from the girls, especially coming off their fun high from the party on Tuesday. It was a hard story for me to swallow and wrap my head around, let alone for these 12 and 13 year old girls right around Malala's age. I explained that she had an accident because she believes that girls should be able to go to school, but there are some people in the world that disagree and think otherwise so they hurt her.  Despite whatever challenges they may be facing right now as well, the Estrellas were filled with concern about the well-being of this girl half way around the world that they don't know, and in that moment I really understood their full capacity for compassion. Hasly had a face of disbelief, "¿En serio?" (Seriously?) she asked. Unfortunately, yes. I showed them where Pakistan was in relation to Nicaragua (conveniently we have a world map painted on the wall on the 3rd floor) and suggested that we send her words of encouragement while she is trying to get better in the hospital. Hasly again asked, "Entiende ella el español?" Does she understand Spanish? I don't know, I said, but I'm sure that someone can translate your letters and read them to her in her own language. They immediately got to work.

Hasly is arguably the smartest girl on the team (along with her best friend Lizbeth) and at times their intelligence gets them into a bit of trouble with talking back to coaches or being slightly condescending. But most of the time they just amaze me with their ability to digest any topic that is thrown at them. Hasly wrote two full pages to Malala filled with words of respect and encouragement, and it was clear that this issue really resonated with her because she is very dedicated to her own education. Translated into English, here is an excerpt from her letter:
                "Thank you for having so much courage so that all the girls in your country can go to school. I hope you continue forward because you're a warrior. I'm 12 years old and I'm in my 1st year of secondary school. You are an amazing girl, and I know you will keep fighting and succeed. You're not alone in your fight, many other girls want to go to school too, and I support you in your struggle. I hope you get better so you can go to school, and remember you have a friend in me and I really like what you are doing. I pray for the best for you. Your friend, Hasly."

I was genuinely surprised by how well all the girls handled this terrible news and I was left in pretty deep thought for the rest of the night. I think if I had a different job, the news of Malala would still upset me as it is a terribly unfortunate thing to happen, but it wouldn't have deeply resonated and filled me with rage like it did. I thought about one of the major goals of this program to keep our girls in school to better set them up for success, and Malala shares the same goal. I thought about my Lupe, a 14 year old girl just like Malala. I thought about how much life she still has ahead of her and how unbelievably unfair it would be to take that away. I'm thankful that she has the opportunity to receive an education, but also saddened by the world of struggles she will face as well. I thought about my life as a 14 year old girl in the United States, (I think that year my youth soccer team, the Danvers Destiny, won the Massachusetts State Championship for the second time and I started my freshman year at GDA where I received the best education) and how I have essentially sailed through the past 7 years of my life with amazing familial and structural support that have allowed me to pursue my goals sans obstacles. And I think for one of the first times in my life, I truly feel passionate about something, or something that matters I guess. I was incredibly lucky to be born in the United States into the family I have, but there are girls just like me with hopes and dreams that are too soon shattered by structural barriers elsewhere. In the year 2012 that just doesn't make sense, and I am passionate about doing what I can to help eliminate that inequality. 

Soccer has been my passion, my main squeeze, throughout my life which has lead me here, and being here has lead me to see things and open my mind in new ways and has sparked another passion. Whether I will pursue that one next, I still don't know, but I think there's some quote about doing what you love, and the rest will figure itself out. While I have always been skeptical of that whole philosophy, I couldn't agree more.

And finally the video that I promised, and a better peek at what I've been doing for the past 90+ days.


Amor, Paz, y Fútbol

KPope

No comments:

Post a Comment