Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fahoo Forays Dahoo Dorays

"Christmas, children, is not a date. It's a state of mind." -Mary Ellen Chase

For those who are confused by the title of this post, it's the lyrics to the song from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" that the Who's sing on Christmas morning despite not having lights, trees, or presents. For those who are still confused, here's a life update.

If you've been following my blog for awhile, you know that I had been preparing for five players from the Nicaraguan Women's National Team to come to Granada to help run a workshop with our participants this past Friday. I had organized an entire afternoon for everybody complete with soccer, salsa music, an opportunity for questions and answers, and an exchange of locker room/activity space decorations full of inspirational quotes and encouraging words. I had gathered an extensive list of popular songs, combined them to create a solid music mix for the big day, and meticulously planned out a foot skills exercise to the beat of the music (much like Maren's calf-burning 'coerver' drills with her favorite 80s mix) I bought a copious amount of poster board, pumped up 65 soccer balls, and could barely sleep on Thursday night just hoping that everything would run smoothly.

More importantly, the girls were so excited. The Mariposas (the younger group) had been practicing a team dance to welcome the National Team players for the past two weeks, for hours at a time, and even showed up to the office on Wednesday (when we don't have any activities or practice) to make sure they had it down pat. On my visit to Johanna's house early last week, she mentioned that she wants to be a professional soccer player when she grows up so I couldn't help but spill the big news that the National Team was coming to Granada and her face immediately lit up. For the next two weeks, she informed me how many days were left until they would be here each time she saw me. 'Christmas' was coming, and there was an almost tangible excitement in Tres Pisos.

Then, an hour and a half before their scheduled arrival time, I got an email from the girl I had been contacting for the past month saying that something came up at the last minute and they wouldn't be able to make it. Say whaaat. The day that had been chock full of hope and expectations came to a screeching halt. Despite feeling incredibly deflated, we only had an hour and Larkin did not allow time for panic to settle in. We immediately thought to replace the National Team members with some of our own Veteranas to still give the girls an idea of what it's like to play soccer at a higher level, and the obstacles that they have overcome to reach their success. We hopped in a taxi and went to visit the homes of the players we had in mind; Rubia had to work for her aunt all afternoon, Samari told us she could come for a bit before she had to go to practice, and Marling also agreed to show up. It wasn't much, but it was something.

We scrambled to get back to the office and organize everything despite the chaotic mess that had just ensued. The girls arrived at the scheduled time and we sent them up to the third floor each with a ball as we had planned, but Samari and Marling didn't show up either, so any resemblance of a plan had disintegrated along with all my confidence that I could still make it a productive afternoon.

Larkin announced that I would lead them all in a soccer activity to start and then they would get the chance to hear from their coaches about the role of soccer in their lives, and what it's like to play at a higher level. I expected to see faces drop and their excitement deflate in front of my eyes, just as mine had. Instead they put the balls down at their feet and looked up, ready to participate in whatever I had in store for them. I started my playlist, and we played. The foot skills evolved into just dancing when their legs got tired, and try as I might to stick to my original plan I decided to let it go and adjust to the new momentum of the day rather than continuously attempting and failing to impose my own direction. The "Grinch" had taken everything I thought I needed to make this day special, but the Who's in Whoville still joined in song to welcome Christmas.

The dance of the Mariposas still went on.

The girls hung on Hassell and Helen's every word.

And the disappointment of ruined expectations was checked at the door. I was thankful, impressed, and humbled; I learned that positivity and having a good attitude truly makes the difference in any situation. And having good help doesn't hurt either :)

My heart may have grown two sizes that day.

Amor, Paz, y Fútbol

KPope



No comments:

Post a Comment