Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Disconnected Thoughts

  • In the past week, we found one giant dead rat in the ceiling of the 2nd floor (we were able to smell it out) and with some good help from César and Techo, we killed two of the other mice in Tres. I would like to believe we got them all, but it's too hard to tell. Nonetheless, it was quite a productive week.

  • Last Monday instead of having our regular staff meeting in the office, we had it in Hotel Con Corazón (a hotel down the street from the office) because on Monday nights they teach free salsa lessons and as Larkin said "Hay que disfrutar la vida!" (It's necessary to enjoy life!) Guys lined up on one side of the room across from their partners on the other. However, there was an uneven number of guys and girls and since I am taller than everybody as I've mentioned, I had to be one of the guys. Flaca was my little Latina flame for the night and I learned a bunch of great leading salsa moves, but would definitely still trip over myself and not be able to dance as the actual girl. C'est la vie.

  • There are a lot of horses in this city. Usually they have saddles, reins, and riders or they are pulling carriages. However, there seem to be an increasing number of unbridled horses free to roam down city streets alone, or like the other day- straight through our practice field. Maren always used to make us practice checking over our shoulder to see where the defender was before receiving the ball and turning, so that we wouldn't turn into a pressure situation. Here, that has a whole new meaning. There's nothing quite like trapping the ball out of the air, making a quick foot move to turn and go in another direction and nearly running into a large grazing horse that you didn't see before you picked up your head or checked over your shoulder. Thanks for the practice, Mare!

  • On many of my house visits, I am offered many things by the incredibly gracious families I have met: water, coffee, juice, snacks, fruit from one of their trees, etc. 90% of what I am offered are things that I have been warned not to eat or drink because my weak American stomach can't handle a lot of what Nicas put into their bodies. I'm pretty bad at saying no in the first place, but even worse when I have adorable twelve year old girls, their smiling young siblings, and their eager parents going out of their way to make me feel comfortable and welcome. I just can't turn down their offers, and may be getting myself into some risky business. Oops.

  • On Tuesday night, I wore my Peace Love & Crabs T-shirt. I had worn it to Veterana practice that afternoon and the water supply in Tres Pisos decides to shut off randomly, so I didn't have a chance to shower in between practice and activity night. I was shweaty, but had to grin and bear it. The girls didn't notice one bit when they were greeting me with the usual hugs before the night starts. They read the back of the shirt in English and asked what it meant in Spanish, so I told them. Some of them giggled, and some just shot me confused faces. I know, I said, it's a little strange but it's a family thing. They asked for the story, so I explained about our family's annual Yankee Swap at Christmas (which is quite difficult to explain in Spanish I realized) and that one year my grandmother ended up with this crazy t-shirt, and she passed away this March but now our whole family has a t-shirt like this to always have that memory of her. They more or less understood, even though nothing like that would ever really happen here. Regardless, they  told me they liked all the different colors on the shirt. I almost forgot how disgusting I looked/smelled after coming from practice. When we went inside to start the activity, Techo gave me a playful shove, and then exclaimed, "Awwgh estás sudando!" (Awwgh you're sweating!) Nothing like boys to keep you humble.

  • I know I'm not allowed to pick favorites, but if I could, it would arguably be María Guadalupe Corea Miranda or just "Lupe." She reminds me the most of myself (or I guess how I remember myself at age 13) She's a bit taller than the other girls, but lanky and still needs to grow into her limbs. She gets along well with everybody and isn't an outspoken leader by any means, but a crucial member of the team nonetheless. She tries her best all the time, and despite her slight lack of coordination she never gets embarrassed or self-conscious. She isn't afraid to laugh at herself, and relishes in the opportunity to make others laugh too. She handles herself with maturity, a sly sense of humor, and an inner spirit that never fails to brighten my day.

It's crazy to think that I'm only approaching the two month mark. I live in a drastically different place than anywhere I've ever been, but it oddly feels so normal after such a short amount of time. It helps having Larkin here, it helps that every person I've met has been more than welcoming and accomodating, it helps that I can still remain connected to my real home despite being so far, it helps that I can watch webcasts of my Bears crushing Bates 3-0, it helps that I can play some soccer of my own to stay connected to a sport that has been such a constant presence throughout my entire life. 

It's also nice to have a little crazy here and there. It constantly makes me consider the ties that exist between all people, rather than the differences that have the capacity to drive us apart. Sure, the differences in our education systems have really left my head spinning at times. But whether there is a 5'6" human defender behind us or a full grown horse, we all have to check over our shoulder before we turn with the ball.

All that being said, I think I can do without kitchen rats, so don't worry. I'll eventually come home.

Amor, paz, y fútbol

KPope

1 comment:

  1. Kelly,
    Your blogs are amazing!!! I love reading each and every one--I feel like I am there and I have met all of these wonderful people you have made connections with! I am so happy for you that you are enjoying your time.
    We all miss you back home!!
    Love you,
    Kris

    P.S. way to represent Grandmaman's peace, love, and crabs!

    ReplyDelete